Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fireworks!

For those of you who are unaware State College has the 3rd largest fireworks show in the US.  The fireworks are the culmination to the 4th of July celebration.  In the past we have watched them in a neighborhood cudi-sac, with a clear shot looking towards the football stadium.  You can see everything pretty well, except for the VIP ground fire-works (you have to pay money to sit in the VIP viewing area).  My really good friend decided that she wanted to see them up close, and to feel the boom!  I have hesitated doing this in the past, because I have heard it is a real mess trying to get out after the fireworks, and also because we would need to go several hours in advance to get a good spot.  I love my friend and she is one of my closest and dearest friends so, though I thought she was a little crazy, I decided she was worth any extra hassle.

As usual when we want to do something I tell Craig what I want to do, and he comes up with the plan.  So Craig disappeared into his cave (office) and emerged later with a plan and we went for it.  I must note they also have a carnival, kids stuff, live music, races and several other things going on before the fireworks, so it is quite an event with thousands of people.  Things went well, and we even found free parking!!!  Craig found a prime spot, though I doubted him, because three hours before the fireworks, nobody was over there or had blankets set up.  Lets be honest, if you were in Utah you would have had your blanket set up early that morning, and showed up hours before the event, but fortunately we are not in Utah and State College doesn't run that way.  They are much more relaxed and ho-hum.  After Craig reassured me numerous times, literally pointing to the fireworks sitting in on the ground a mere 100 yards from where we were set up, and showing me the VIP sitting area, that was not far from us, I was convinced.

Our spot was in the back corner of the baseball field, but to get into the field you could not bring in food or water.  They were inspecting bags, but our friend said if you told them it was for your kids they would let you in.  My friend and I had three of the kids, while the husbands were in staking out our spot.  She sat with them while they finished up their hot dogs and I went to relieve the boys.  I told the guy that I knew he had to inspect my bag, but the food was for the kids, and I pointed at the kids, he looked me up and down, noting that I was obviously pregnant and said, "I am not going to mess with that, I will let it slide, you go right a head....and congratulations!"  I couldn't help but laugh, if I was in Utah there would be no way he would have let me in, pregnant or not, because he would have had to do the same thing for all the other pregnant women.  This town does have it perks, it is just not common to be pregnant.

The fireworks we amazing!!!!  You could definitely hear them!!!!  It was the best I have every seen, and seeing them that close definitely makes a difference!!!  Lucas was scared at the beginning, he hid behind our friend because she was sitting the farthest back.  He had a look of pure fear on his face, but slowly warmed up and soon he was next to Craig commenting on how pretty and cool they were.  He is still talking about them and all the colors we saw.

To round out our 4th of July celebration, we had also gone to Greenwood Furnace for swimming that morning and hung out.  It was way fun!  A long and hot, but fun day!!!




No comments: