Sunday, July 15, 2012

Yeah! It finally happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my little man (Lucas) more than words can say!  Every day I am learning more and more about him and how to approach things, so life is more pleasant for the both of us.  One of the biggest things I have learned is Lucas not only marches to the beat of his own drum, but he is the drummer!  He does things on his own time.  There have been times, when I am getting frustrated with the little tyke, I have to step back and say to myself, "Katie, calm down, this is not life threatening, he is not going be at a disadvantage if he doesn't hit this milestone right now, relax! When he is ready he will do it, just back off."  When I do this we eventually have success!

So you maybe asking why does this matter?  What is going on?  Drum roll!........Lucas has decided to use the potty!  He has just gone a full 24 hours without a wet pull up/underwear, this is including naptime and bedtime!  Amazing!  It all started a couple of weeks ago when we ran out of diapers, and we had not made it to the store yet.  I asked Lucas, "What do you think we should do?  We are all out of diapers.", Lucas response, "go to the store and get some."  My response, "Daddy has the car, so we can't go get diapers."  I continued to explain to him that we have pull-ups if he would like to wear those, and then asked him what he needed to do if he wore pull-ups, and he said go pee in the potty.  (Craig came home later that day with diapers, and I quickly motioned to him to hide them!)  He would still have accidents in his pull ups the first couple of days, and he found find a random diaper here and there, little stinker ("Look mom, I don't have to go pee in the potty, I found a diaper!").  It got to the point where he would become distraught if he wet his pull-up, poor little guy.  We have now officially transitioned into underwear, which he loves, especially the underwear Grandma sent.  Quote from Lucas, "We don't pee in grandma Buzz Lightyear underwear."  Lucas is very good at telling me when he needs to go.  He will suddenly look at you and shout, "potty, potty!!!" and may I add he will shout this anywhere, anytime, even if it is right in the middle of sacrament meeting!  No complaints here!  He goes poo and pee, anywhere, anytime! (He loves the port-a-potties, if there is one around he will instantly "have" to go, just so he can use it!) He is also great at holding it in, if needed (and when I say holding it, he literally holds his crotch).  On our way home from Palmyra we were pushing it, but he did a good job holding it, we finally decided it wasn't worth it and pulled over and let him pee on the side of the road.  He thought this was awesome and still talks about peeing on the rocks!  The morning after we put him in underwear, he woke up and said, "I get to go to preschool."  I had to explain to him, yes now you can go to preschool, but not until the leaves change colors and the baby comes.

No comments: