Thursday, May 3, 2012

Still in Diapers!

Lucas definitely does things on his own schedule, completely throwing out the window any milestone chart that the "average" child follows.  This whole potty thing is just not happening.  We have tried, positive reinforcement (bribery) (this does not work, he just decides that he doesn't want a treat, he doesn't care), going cold turkey, even threatening him (he can't go to preschool without being potty trained and he knows it).  Lucas understands all of this, he understands the concept, he know that mommy, daddy, and all of his friends go potty, he even gives you applause when you go and has even offered us a treat as reward.  He knows when he needs to go, which is the frustrating part.  One time I was sitting at the computer, Lucas was playing with his friend, and watching an educational show, he comes up to me holding his diaper, butt naked and tells me that his diaper is dry, he went pee and poop in the potty and he would like his treat!  My thoughts are, "are you serious kid?"  I am not even going to try to understand, I am just going to roll with it.  Basically Lucas literally decides when he would like to use the potty, there are days when he says "I need to go potty" and keeps himself completely dry, and others when he refuses to try to go potty.  The conclusion I have come to is Lucas is going to decided when he is going to go potty, and hopefully it is before preschool starts.  In all likelihood he will probably start using the potty consistently the day he starts school!

No comments: